After recalls of everything from pet food to children’s toys manufactured in China, many pet owners have concerns about the toys they provide their pet. Could they be dangerous? The fact is, no one is certain what level of lead would pose a danger to pets, but veterinarian Shannon Greeley says lead is dangerous if ingested by an animal. “Symptoms include a lot of vomiting and diarrhea, then we begin to see neurologic signs, tremors, seizures,” Greeley said, describing lead poisoning in pets. Still Greeley says the industry has so far not seen any lead poisoning due to toys. Check the link below for the video interview from CBS 2 news.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lead.poisoning.pets.2.643058.html.

The Chicago Veterinary Medical Association recommends that owners follow simple guidelines when buying pet toys — Avoid toys with paint. — Avoid plastic toys. — Don’t let pets chew on children’s toys.